Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The True Meaning of Submission to God

Several months ago we were visiting at the North Central Church where my son-in-law is the worship minister. I love worshipping with my daughter and granddaughter with Steven leading. He has such a passion for what he does and is very talented. I always know I will have a wonderful, worshipful experience when we are able to attend there.

On this particular day a young woman went forward to be baptised. Now for those of us who have been members of a Church of Christ all our lives, this isn't an unusual event. It's always a meaningful and touching event but not unusual. I settled back as a visitor to be a witness to this wonderful act of accepting her new life as a follower of Jesus. As I watched the young woman and the minister take their places in the water, I realized that things were not "as usual" this time. As the minister began to talk about her and with her he revealed that this woman was terrified of water but she believed it was important to submit to God in baptism so she had made up her mind to go through with this. He said a short prayer over her and then they stood as she visibly struggled with her fear and the waist-deep water in which she was standing. As the minutes ticked by everyone in that auditorium tensed along with her and leaned toward her in silent affirmation and encouragement. She would relax for a moment and then stiffen again as he started to lay her back in the water and start shivering again. It was absolutely painful to watch. And yet it was such a beautiful picture of how we all struggle with total submission to God in our lives. How many times have I prayed that prayer of giving my life to him completely only to stiffen and resist the moment he begins to take me at my word? It is often an absolute struggle to let go and trust and believe that God knows exactly where he is taking me and he is in control and wants what is best for me. As I watched this precious young woman struggle and fight with this, tears began running down my face and I tell you when she finally surrendered and let go to be pushed beneath that water, everyone in that building erupted into applause and cries of joy. Other than my own children, it was the most moving baptism I have ever witnessed. Thanks to this young woman's brave struggle, a priceless picture is now etched into my memory to remind me that when I let go of my fear and skepticism and surrender, God will be right there to accept my offering. When I am allowing him to lead me and use me as he desires, I can be sure I will hear the explosion of applause and cries of joy from heaven. The smile on my face at that moment will be as broad as the smile on the face of that dear sister as she came up out of that water and wrapped her arms around that minister's neck in gratitude and joy. I never got a chance to meet her but she made a strong impression on me that day. God bless her as she continues her walk of faith and submission.

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Steven J Bruce said...

Thanks for sharing this. It is so comforting to know that He has it all figured out, even if we don't. Especially right now, I wish I could find it easier to just "un-stiffen" and let Him dip me where He wants...but man, it's a struggle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home